Every business, big or small, has the opportunity to be showcasing its expertise. For larger businesses, you may already have a blog installed (though have you developed a strategy and are you a regular publisher?). Smaller business may have been dragging their feet, but they should not. You can embed one in your site for little more than the cost of assigning an editor to it; or even if you do not have a web site for your business, you can still promote yourself by creating one for free.
But your blog has to be used and used well. To serve up content that will drive business, I suggest you P-L-A-T-E it:
- Provide a call to action. Tell readers what they should do with information you just shared. Read more about the product or service, click to ask a question, visit the online Q&A, or another meaningful activity. Get them moving.
- Link to other sources for your customers. Industry associations, news sites, experts, even other blogs that support your vision, all serve to educate, motivate and engage your readers.
- Aggregate content for your visitors. That means bring information from other sites to yours. Putting a lot of good content in one place is convenient for your readers, projects authority as your readers see you can recognize good content, and can create a spring board from which ideas can grow. You can find some help here.
- Target your community, and by that I mean your customers and prospects. This isn’t a forum for your political or social beliefs, or your personal complaint department. You’re doing this to be a leader and to attract people who want to do business with you.
- Embed visuals. It’s eye candy and makes your posts more interesting. Use charts, product pics, photos of your staff and operation, events and tradeshows, etc. Show AND tell. ‘Nuff said.
If you aren’t already blogging about your business, dive in. If you are, make sure you’re doing it well and have a qualified editor putting it together for you (this is not an intern project). PLATE it, and you’ll be serving a new wave of customers sooner than you think. It’s your blog…Use it.
Bob Namar is president of Namarketer, a content marketing, publicity and promotion agency in the NY-NJ metropolitan area. Visit Namarketer.com.